Ok, one can never really be a lapsed Irish person. Because that shit’s in our blood and bone and meat. Yes. I am Irish, and Norwegian. And a little bit of a lot more things that I just barely claim. But today, I am all Irish. And I’m ashamed to say that in my 38 years, this is the first time I have ever made corned beef and cabbage. Ever.
There. I said it. I am so ashamed.
My friend Cera made hers yesterday, and though I did pick up the corned beef brisket at Costco on Thursday, I was still super intimidated by the, what I thought to be, daunting task of making this American Irish dish. As in everything Cera does, she’s immediately good at it. *le sigh* so I figured I would do it the way she did. We shall see. I added a few things of my own, and a few things suggested by the man at Costco who was selling Irish Cheese. So here’s what I did.
- 1 onion coarsely chopped
- 4-6 carrots coarsely chopped
- 3-6 stalks of celery coarsely chopped
- 5 (or so) petite or new white potatoes, halved
- 5 (or so) new red potatoes, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 C vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you don’t have veggie broth doesn’t really matter)
- 1 1/2 cups stout beer or porter. We used Peace Tree Rye Porter because we had no stout.
- 1 corned beef brisket with brine and seasoning packet
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar (or so)
- Whole peppercorns (about a tablespoon)
- 1/2 head of cabbage (or whatever will fit in your crock pot by this point
Place onions and carrots in the bottom of the crock pot, topped by the potatoes, then the celery and bay. Pour liquid over the vegetables, you can add pepper corns here if you want, I prefer to sprinkle them on top of everything once they’re in the pot, but it’s up to you.
Place the brisket fat side up, over the vegetables and liquid. Sprinkle the seasoning packet on top, then sprinkle the brown sugar on top of that and press slightly into roast. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours.
At about 6 hours (depending on how crunchy you like your cabbage) add your coarsely chopped cabbage around roast. Let cook for another 2-3 hours.
Get a green beer and DRINK! I will add a photo when it’s all done.
Joey is bored with my shenanigans.